Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Summer Wildlife 夏天的动物


Summer is usually the time where there are no birds to see, we only have a few interesting breeding species along with our local residents. It is, however, the best season for observing the other species of animals in Hong Kong. Because of the hot weather during the daytime, I have been out mostly at night, looking for herps and mammals. One of the most common snakes seen at night in the forests are Many-banded Kraits, I encountered over 5 during the summer ranging from juveniles to adults, but only a few were photoable. 

夏天通常没有鸟看,除了本地居民外,我们这里只有几种有趣的繁殖物种。所以我就出去夜行,主要看哺乳动物,蛇和青蛙。一条很常见的蛇是銀腳帶,它们是香港最有毒的蛇,但是它们很小会咬人。我看到了5+只,有小的和大的。



Many-banded Krait - juv(銀腳帶)


Many-banded Krait - adult(銀腳帶)

Other common snakes seen includes Brahminy Blindsnakes, Bamboo Pit Viper and an Anderson's Mountain Keelback. 

其它常见的蛇类包括鉤盲蛇,青竹蛇和香港後稜蛇。


Brahminy Blindsnake(鉤盲蛇)


Bamboo Pit Viper(青竹蛇)


Anderson's Mountain Keelback(香港後稜蛇)

While out birding, I have encountered a few snakes of multiple species too, including Oriental Ratsnake, Mock Viper and Red Necked Keelback. 

我去观鸟的时候都有其他蛇,包括滑鼠蛇,紫沙蛇和紅脖游蛇。


Oriental Ratsnake(滑鼠蛇)

Mock Viper(紫沙蛇)




Red Necked Keelback - feeding on toad(紅脖游蛇-吃青蛙)

The most exciting snake for me, however, was an adult Indochinese Banded Wolf Snake, which seems to be pretty rare in Hong Kong. I just stumbled upon it hunting a lizard, the lizard got away lucky while I was over the moon with this snake find.

我觉得最特别的蛇就是一只細白環蛇,它们好上在香港罕有的。我在夜行的时候看到他在追一条蜥蜴。




 Indochinese Banded Wolf Snake(細白環蛇)

Other than snakes, frogs have been seen on my night walks, including some interesting ones. This includes Short Legged Horned Toads, Hong Kong Cascade Frogs, both species were thought to the be endemic to Hong Kong before, but populations were discovered elsewhere. 

除了蛇,我夜行还看到很多青蛙。有两种青蛙本来以为是香港特有的,但是在其他地方都发现了。这两种是短腳角蟾和香港湍蛙。


Short Legged Horned Toad(短腳角蟾)


Hong Kong Cascade Frog(香港湍蛙)

A few lifer frogs seen this year were Big Headed Frog, Brown Wood Frog, Hong Kong Rice Paddy Frog, Chinese Bullfrog, Green Cascade Frog and Lesser Spiny Frog.

其他青蛙我第一次见的包括大頭蛙,闊褶蛙,澤蛙,虎紋蛙,大綠蛙和小棘蛙。


Big Headed Frog(大頭蛙)

Brown Wood Frog(闊褶蛙)


Hong Kong Rice Paddy Frog(澤蛙)


Chinese Bullfrog(虎紋蛙)


Green Cascade Frog(大綠蛙)


Lesser Spiny Frog(小棘蛙)

Other common species includes Asian Common Toad, Tubercled Pygmy Frog, Brown Tree Frog, Asian Painted Frog and Guenther's Frog.

普通的种类包含黑眶蟾蜍,巴氏小雨蛙,斑腿樹蛙和沼蛙。


Asian Common Toad(黑眶蟾蜍)


Tubercled Pygmy Frog(巴氏小雨蛙)


Brown Tree Frog(斑腿樹蛙)


Guenther's Frog(沼蛙)

Lizards have also been seen of late, the most numerous being the Chinese Water Dragon. Other species seen includes Wang's Garden Lizard and a Modest Ground Skink.

我还发现了几种蜥蜴,比如中国水龙,中国树蜥和寧波滑蜥。


Chinese Water Dragon(中国水龙)


Wang's Garden Lizard (中国树蜥)



Modest Ground Skink(寧波滑蜥)

Other than amphibians and reptiles seen, I had some luck with the small mammals while out on the hikes. These include Great Roundleaf Bat, Leschenault's Rousette, Greater Short Nosed Fruit Bat and South China White Bellied Rat.

除了爬行动物之外,我幸运地看到了一些小型哺乳动物。这包括大蹄蝠,棕果蝠,短吻果蝠和华南针毛鼠。


Great Roundleaf Bat(大蹄蝠)


Leschenault's Rousette(棕果蝠)


Greater Short Nosed Fruit Bat(短吻果蝠)


South China White Bellied Rat(华南针毛鼠)

I did see a pair of East Asian Porcupines, but they were really fast and I only managed a record pic of one of them fleeing. South China Boars were friendlier, one with interesting coloring was seen feeding on the path.

我又看到一堆東亞豪豬,但是她们很怕人。还有很多只华南野猪。


East Asian Porcupine(東亞豪豬)


 South China Boar(华南野猪)

Upon receiving news that the Cheung Chau Brown Fish Owl was showing again, me and a few other birders headed over the next night to see if it would come back out, as this was a species I have yet to see. On the ferry there, we only had a few Black Naped and Roseate Terns. 

一听到长洲的褐漁鴞出来了我和其他几位观鸟者在第二天晚上前往那里,看看它会不会再出现,因为这是我还没有见过的种。在船上看见了几只黑枕燕鷗和粉紅燕鷗。


Black Naped Tern(黑枕燕鷗)


Roseate Tern(粉紅燕鷗)

Upon arrived at the waterfront, we noticed many Black Kites, but a weird bird within the group caught our attention. It turned out to a Lesser Frigatebird, another lifer for me! It soon flew closer, and glided right above our heads before leaving!

我们到了海旁看到很多黑鳶,但有朋友发现了一只白斑軍艦鳥在飞过!这只是我的lifer,已经等了很久了!



Lesser Frigatebird(白斑軍艦鳥)

After it got dark, the fish owl appeared, and we all enjoyed great views of it standing on the boats in the harbour looking for fish. 

一到晚上猫头鹰就飞出来了,它站在渔船上等鱼游过。



Brown Fish Owl(褐漁鴞)

On another ferry ride, I saw a few Great Crested Terns perched on a lighthouse, however they were extremely far away and didn't fly closer. A White Bellied Sea Eagle was seen perched on some trees in the same area too.

在另一次乘渡轮时,我看到几只大凤头燕鸥栖息在灯塔上,但它们离得非常远,并没有飞近。都看见了一只白腹海鵰飞过。


Great Crested Terns with Black Naped Terns(大凤头燕鸥)


White Bellied Sea Eagle(白腹海鵰)

After the hot summer, birds have started to pass through, I've noticed that the migration this year seemed to start earlier than last year. I saw my first Yellow Rumped Flycatcher on the 10th of August, which is the earliest one I've seen. In the following days, I saw a few other juv or female Yellow Rumped Flycatchers. 

八月中通常秋天都开始了,我八月十日看到我第一只白眉姬鶲,这是我最早看到候鸟。之后几个星期看到多几只白眉姬鶲雌性和幼鸟。

Yellow Rumped Flycatcher 1(白眉姬鶲 1)

Yellow Rumped Flycatcher 2(白眉姬鶲 2)


Yellow Rumped Flycatcher 3(白眉姬鶲 3)

After seeing all these females or immature males, an adult male was seen a few days later by other birders. I headed over there as soon as possible, because a male Yellow Rumped Flycatcher is extremely rare in Hong Kong, with only one or two record recorded every year while hundreds of females and immatures pass through. Once I arrived, the flycatcher showed well, though it remained far. 

我看了那么多雌性和幼鸟之后,有人发现了一只公!我很快就过去了,因为白眉姬鶲公在香港是很含有的。每年有1-2只,但白眉姬鶲雌性和幼鸟都算常见。我已到就看到他了,但是比较远。



Yellow Rumped Flycatcher - male!(
白眉姬鶲 - 公!)

Unbelievably, just 5 days later, on a trip to Po Toi, I found yet another male Yellow Rumped Flycatcher! I was completely shocked by this, because many birders go years without seeing a male, as most stay a day before leaving. I believe that I am the first HK birder to see 2 different male Yellow Rumped Flycatchers in this short period of time! The flycatcher didn't stay long though, it was only in view for a few minutes and stayed quite high up before it flew deep into the forest. 

五天后,在蒲台观鸟时候,我发现了一只白眉姬鶲的公!我对觉得非常震惊,因为很多观鸟者几年都见不到一只白眉姬鶲的公,大多数鸟只会停留一天就离开。不过,这只姬鹟停留的时间并不长,只出现了几分钟。
 


Yellow Rumped Flycatcher - second male!!白眉姬鶲 - 第二只公 !!)

On the same tree was an Eastern Crowned Warbler and a pair of Asian Brown Flycatchers, but the latter was too quick for pics. On the ferry I noticed a few migrants coming through, including Common Terns, a flock of 20 Red Necked Phalaropes and a Whimbrel.

在同一棵树上还有一只冕柳鶯和两只北灰鶲,但是鶲太快了,拍不到。在船上都有候鸟,有普通燕鷗,20只紅頸瓣蹼鷸和中杓鷸。


Eastern Crowned Warbler(冕柳鶯)


Common Tern(普通燕鷗)



Red Necked Phalaropes(紅頸瓣蹼鷸)


Whimbrel(中杓鷸)

Other than the migrating flycatchers, one of our rarer breeding species of flycatcher is the Brown Breasted Flycatcher. Although they return annually, they can be tricky to track down because they don't sing, and requires forested stream areas. On my visit there, I only saw the juveniles. A Grey Wagtail was also seen in the area. 

香港一种含有的鹟是褐胸鶲,虽然它们每年都来,它们比较难找因为不叫。我去的时候看到两只幼鸟。附近都有一只灰鶺鴒。



Brown Breasted Flycatcher(褐胸鶲)


Grey Wagtail(灰鶺鴒)

Although not vocal anymore, Hainan Blue Flycatchers are still around, I only managed to see a juvenile the other day at my patch, which indicates that the pairs had a successful breeding season.

虽然海南蓝仙鹟不再叫,但它们仍然在。前几天我在我常去的地方只看到了一只幼鸟。


Hainan Blue Flycatcher - juv(海南蓝仙鹟)

After this post, I will be heading over to the UK for education, so there will be less posts from now on.

写完这篇文章后,我会前往英国留学,所以以后文章数量会减少。

No comments:

Post a Comment